Hawaii 2012. Day Five.
Day five was the Fourth of July and by far the main highlight of our trip for me. It was the #1 thing I was looking forward to from the moment Jason said the word "Hawaii" back in February. Pearl Harbor.
Now for anyone that hasn't realized it yet, I am a history nerd, I mean major. Pearl Harbor was at the top of the list of places I wanted to see for myself. As soon as we got to the island, Jason had suggested that we go there on the 4th. I immediately made sure that they were open that day, and when I found out they were, I booked our transportation there.
So at 11 am that day we were picked up by one of the shuttles and brought to the Pearl Harbor visitor's center.
I had already seen the U.S.S. Arizona monument from the air as we were circling in on the Honolulu Airport on Saturday (chills). As we approached the parking lot of the visitor's center, we saw the huge aircraft carriers in the water, and as we turned in, there in plain sight was the U.S.S. Arizona monument. I was speechless.
One thing a lot of people don't realize about going to Pearl Harbor: the security is pretty tight, so bags are not allowed within the complex. Thankfully they let us take a plastic bag in for Declan's things, but other than that, the only things allowed in were cameras, phones, and wallets. No bags of any kind.
We made it through and were handed some little American flags. Everywhere we looked, everyone was dressed in red, white, and blue. Red, white, and blue balloons were anchored to many of the posts.
We got our tickets for the U.S.S. Arizona ferry boat, and we were set to be part of the 2:15 tour. It was barely 11:30 AM, so we had a lot of time to kill. (Yay!)
There are no words to describe the emotions you feel when visiting Pearl Harbor. We walked towards the water immediately. There were plaques everywhere detailing the attack. We stood facing where battleship row once was. I was crying within minutes. Jason stood there looking around and said "can you imagine?... there were planes flying all through this area..." There were just no words. Reading the plaques, looking at the maps and pictures in front of us- showing us exactly where each ship was at the time of the attack.. We would look from the plaques and look straight up in front of us. I got chills so many times that hot day just knowing I was standing before such a place. Looking up and knowing those ships were right there in front of me. Knowing that was the last place so many people were alive. Knowing that so many of them never left the battleship they were entombed on. The emotions were indescribable.
Besides the plaques, there a handful of buildings to walk through. So much history was inside those buildings. I have taken a handful of history courses on Asian history and civilizations, including most recently this spring when I took Northeast Asia in the 21st century. I had learned so much about the Asian side of the 2nd World War that as I read and watched the materials throughout the exhibits, I was just in awe. The biggest moment for me in any of those buildings was seeing President Roosevelt's speech notes from his famous speech about a "day that will live in infamy." In a glass casing, there were three pages of type notes, with his penmanship crossing out words and replacing them with other words. Three pages of a speech that is so very famous. I looked down at the pages that he had touched in complete awe.
For the occasion of being Independence Day, the Navy Pacific Fleet band was performing under one of the pavilions. We stopped and listened as they played the songs for each service of the military. I had tears in my eyes hearing the Air Force song. They were really remarkable to listen to.
While waiting for our time to go out to the monument we also grabbed some lunch and looked through the two gift shops. I went into the second gift shop to find souvenirs to bring back for the boys and Jason's family. I must have been in there at least 30-45 minutes trying to decide which colors of hair flowers each person would like best and which turtle figurine would look the best in Jason's mom's collection behind her desk at work. Then it dawned on me, Jason had never come in the shop. I made my purchases and headed out to find him. I spotted him at the "Pick a Pearl" jewelry booth with a guilty look on his face. He asked if I needed to change the baby, go to the bathroom, and get some water. I took a hint and wandered away, but not before the salesman asked to measure my finger. Ha!
I wandered off and when Jason joined us again, I just played dumb. It was just about time to head out to the ferry tour. I was so anxious. We ended up getting squeezed in with the tour group just ahead of ours. First we watched a 20 minute film on the attack on Pearl. When it was over, they opened the doors at the far end of the theater and showed us to the ferry boat.
The ferry ride out to the Arizona monument is a short one. We rode past the huge aircraft carriers. Huge isn't even a worthy word for them. They were just gargantuan. I felt so little. Within minutes we had arrived at the dock of the monument. We were instructed to kindly remember that below the monument is the final resting place for the crew members of the battleship and to please refrain from cell phone use until returning to the visitor's center. We disembarked the ferry and climbed the steps into the monument.
The monument above the Arizona is very open, there are openings all the way across the top. The guide explained that the monument is not anchored or attached to anything in the middle, that it is held up entirely on the sides so as to not disturb the remains of the battleship below. Looking down from the monument, you can't even get a full idea of just how big the Arizona is. The bow and the stern were marked by buoys at either end. Looking out each side of the monument, you could then see where the battleship lay. Another remarkable thing about standing above it, if you were patient, you could watch pockets of oil rising in the water. They do not want to disturb the battleship, so the oil that she sank with, remains inside. It slowly rises constantly. As it hits the surface, it is instantly visible in streaks across the surface of the water.
At the far side of the monument was a chamber. On the wall are inscribed the names of the men who went down with the battleship and were entombed inside. Their names are etched into the stone. That day, being the fourth of July, visitors were each stepping forward to place the American flags we were given at the gates onto the step before the names. It was completely silent in that room, but for the clicks of cameras as numerous people captured the moment of awe. That was the most surreal moment for me. I could not have imagined a better place to celebrate our nation's independence day, but standing before the names of so many brave men who lost their lives prematurely in the name of our freedom. I cannot begin to imagine the terror they felt that day, I simply prayed for their peace. I will remember that moment as long as I live. The feeling that I got there was something I cannot even put into words.
Our time at Pearl Harbor was pretty close to an end. We stopped one last time at one of the gift shops to get shirts for Jason's brother and dad, and a nerdy book on World War 2 for kids (I can't wait to read it with them when they get home!) Then we caught our shuttle back into Waikiki.
For the life of me, I cannot remember where we ate that night. The experiences of the day completely overshadowed anything else we did.
All I can remember is that by the time night fell, we had Declan curled up in his crib, sleeping soundly. We headed out to the Lanai in time to watch the ocean fill up with boats in anticipation of the fireworks show. We had been told by our shuttle driver earlier in the day that we would have prime views of the show, that the fireworks get shot off from Ala Moana park and that the side of our hotel where we were would provide great views. We were on the 24th floor, so our view looking down and over the water was already stunning. The fireworks from that view were breathtaking. It started at 8:30 and as the fireworks lit up the sky, they sparkled over the ocean. It was the most amazing fireworks show I have ever had the joy of experiencing. I was pleased to capture some really great images of it, I was so pleased.
Now for anyone that hasn't realized it yet, I am a history nerd, I mean major. Pearl Harbor was at the top of the list of places I wanted to see for myself. As soon as we got to the island, Jason had suggested that we go there on the 4th. I immediately made sure that they were open that day, and when I found out they were, I booked our transportation there.
So at 11 am that day we were picked up by one of the shuttles and brought to the Pearl Harbor visitor's center.
I had already seen the U.S.S. Arizona monument from the air as we were circling in on the Honolulu Airport on Saturday (chills). As we approached the parking lot of the visitor's center, we saw the huge aircraft carriers in the water, and as we turned in, there in plain sight was the U.S.S. Arizona monument. I was speechless.
One thing a lot of people don't realize about going to Pearl Harbor: the security is pretty tight, so bags are not allowed within the complex. Thankfully they let us take a plastic bag in for Declan's things, but other than that, the only things allowed in were cameras, phones, and wallets. No bags of any kind.
We made it through and were handed some little American flags. Everywhere we looked, everyone was dressed in red, white, and blue. Red, white, and blue balloons were anchored to many of the posts.
We got our tickets for the U.S.S. Arizona ferry boat, and we were set to be part of the 2:15 tour. It was barely 11:30 AM, so we had a lot of time to kill. (Yay!)
There are no words to describe the emotions you feel when visiting Pearl Harbor. We walked towards the water immediately. There were plaques everywhere detailing the attack. We stood facing where battleship row once was. I was crying within minutes. Jason stood there looking around and said "can you imagine?... there were planes flying all through this area..." There were just no words. Reading the plaques, looking at the maps and pictures in front of us- showing us exactly where each ship was at the time of the attack.. We would look from the plaques and look straight up in front of us. I got chills so many times that hot day just knowing I was standing before such a place. Looking up and knowing those ships were right there in front of me. Knowing that was the last place so many people were alive. Knowing that so many of them never left the battleship they were entombed on. The emotions were indescribable.
Besides the plaques, there a handful of buildings to walk through. So much history was inside those buildings. I have taken a handful of history courses on Asian history and civilizations, including most recently this spring when I took Northeast Asia in the 21st century. I had learned so much about the Asian side of the 2nd World War that as I read and watched the materials throughout the exhibits, I was just in awe. The biggest moment for me in any of those buildings was seeing President Roosevelt's speech notes from his famous speech about a "day that will live in infamy." In a glass casing, there were three pages of type notes, with his penmanship crossing out words and replacing them with other words. Three pages of a speech that is so very famous. I looked down at the pages that he had touched in complete awe.
For the occasion of being Independence Day, the Navy Pacific Fleet band was performing under one of the pavilions. We stopped and listened as they played the songs for each service of the military. I had tears in my eyes hearing the Air Force song. They were really remarkable to listen to.
While waiting for our time to go out to the monument we also grabbed some lunch and looked through the two gift shops. I went into the second gift shop to find souvenirs to bring back for the boys and Jason's family. I must have been in there at least 30-45 minutes trying to decide which colors of hair flowers each person would like best and which turtle figurine would look the best in Jason's mom's collection behind her desk at work. Then it dawned on me, Jason had never come in the shop. I made my purchases and headed out to find him. I spotted him at the "Pick a Pearl" jewelry booth with a guilty look on his face. He asked if I needed to change the baby, go to the bathroom, and get some water. I took a hint and wandered away, but not before the salesman asked to measure my finger. Ha!
I wandered off and when Jason joined us again, I just played dumb. It was just about time to head out to the ferry tour. I was so anxious. We ended up getting squeezed in with the tour group just ahead of ours. First we watched a 20 minute film on the attack on Pearl. When it was over, they opened the doors at the far end of the theater and showed us to the ferry boat.
The ferry ride out to the Arizona monument is a short one. We rode past the huge aircraft carriers. Huge isn't even a worthy word for them. They were just gargantuan. I felt so little. Within minutes we had arrived at the dock of the monument. We were instructed to kindly remember that below the monument is the final resting place for the crew members of the battleship and to please refrain from cell phone use until returning to the visitor's center. We disembarked the ferry and climbed the steps into the monument.
The monument above the Arizona is very open, there are openings all the way across the top. The guide explained that the monument is not anchored or attached to anything in the middle, that it is held up entirely on the sides so as to not disturb the remains of the battleship below. Looking down from the monument, you can't even get a full idea of just how big the Arizona is. The bow and the stern were marked by buoys at either end. Looking out each side of the monument, you could then see where the battleship lay. Another remarkable thing about standing above it, if you were patient, you could watch pockets of oil rising in the water. They do not want to disturb the battleship, so the oil that she sank with, remains inside. It slowly rises constantly. As it hits the surface, it is instantly visible in streaks across the surface of the water.
At the far side of the monument was a chamber. On the wall are inscribed the names of the men who went down with the battleship and were entombed inside. Their names are etched into the stone. That day, being the fourth of July, visitors were each stepping forward to place the American flags we were given at the gates onto the step before the names. It was completely silent in that room, but for the clicks of cameras as numerous people captured the moment of awe. That was the most surreal moment for me. I could not have imagined a better place to celebrate our nation's independence day, but standing before the names of so many brave men who lost their lives prematurely in the name of our freedom. I cannot begin to imagine the terror they felt that day, I simply prayed for their peace. I will remember that moment as long as I live. The feeling that I got there was something I cannot even put into words.
Our time at Pearl Harbor was pretty close to an end. We stopped one last time at one of the gift shops to get shirts for Jason's brother and dad, and a nerdy book on World War 2 for kids (I can't wait to read it with them when they get home!) Then we caught our shuttle back into Waikiki.
For the life of me, I cannot remember where we ate that night. The experiences of the day completely overshadowed anything else we did.
All I can remember is that by the time night fell, we had Declan curled up in his crib, sleeping soundly. We headed out to the Lanai in time to watch the ocean fill up with boats in anticipation of the fireworks show. We had been told by our shuttle driver earlier in the day that we would have prime views of the show, that the fireworks get shot off from Ala Moana park and that the side of our hotel where we were would provide great views. We were on the 24th floor, so our view looking down and over the water was already stunning. The fireworks from that view were breathtaking. It started at 8:30 and as the fireworks lit up the sky, they sparkled over the ocean. It was the most amazing fireworks show I have ever had the joy of experiencing. I was pleased to capture some really great images of it, I was so pleased.

















































Comments