Hawaii 2012. Day one.
We arrived here on Saturday night, so we will go ahead and call that "day one." Our flight landed at 6 PM local time. It was a six hour nonstop flight and for Declan's first time flying, I have to say he did pretty darn great! I have had my fair share of "fun" from 35,000 feet with his big brothers, but thankfully Decs is at a great age to travel. He lap hopped between us for part of it, and luckily slept for most of it.
Immediately after walking out of our gate we saw two things: palm trees and a rainbow. It was like the islands were welcoming us. Cheesy? I don't care.
We found the baggage claim and the shuttle I had booked ahead of time. They "lei'ed" us at baggage claim and got us loaded up and ready to go. It was a fun little ride from the Honolulu airport down to the end of Waikiki beach where our hotel was. In Alaska we hear all the time, "it's a completely different world up here!" Yes. It is. Well I'm here to say, Hawaii is another "completely different world" altogether. Some places remind me of San Antonio. I have no idea why.
Anyway, Waikiki beach is quite the hopping place to be. I am so grateful I picked the hotel I did. It's at the end of the beach. Blocks from the clubs. In other words: near the action but quiet. The reviews for the hotels a few blocks away were full of comments about party noises lasting all night. I thankfully read up before booking and got a reasonable price on a room with a GORGEOUS ocean view, thick walls, air conditioning, and best of all: continental breakfast daily called "breakfast on the beach." When I found that, I was 100% sold. This is one area that I would recommend extensive research if coming to Hawaii.
We settled ourselves in that night, it wasn't too exciting. Jason went to look for dinner while I unpacked and let loose to crawl and discover. He brought back Wolfgang Puck, we chowed down in the room. We were forced to just go to bed since, unlike Alaska, it was already dark outside.
Immediately after walking out of our gate we saw two things: palm trees and a rainbow. It was like the islands were welcoming us. Cheesy? I don't care.
We found the baggage claim and the shuttle I had booked ahead of time. They "lei'ed" us at baggage claim and got us loaded up and ready to go. It was a fun little ride from the Honolulu airport down to the end of Waikiki beach where our hotel was. In Alaska we hear all the time, "it's a completely different world up here!" Yes. It is. Well I'm here to say, Hawaii is another "completely different world" altogether. Some places remind me of San Antonio. I have no idea why.
Anyway, Waikiki beach is quite the hopping place to be. I am so grateful I picked the hotel I did. It's at the end of the beach. Blocks from the clubs. In other words: near the action but quiet. The reviews for the hotels a few blocks away were full of comments about party noises lasting all night. I thankfully read up before booking and got a reasonable price on a room with a GORGEOUS ocean view, thick walls, air conditioning, and best of all: continental breakfast daily called "breakfast on the beach." When I found that, I was 100% sold. This is one area that I would recommend extensive research if coming to Hawaii.
We settled ourselves in that night, it wasn't too exciting. Jason went to look for dinner while I unpacked and let loose to crawl and discover. He brought back Wolfgang Puck, we chowed down in the room. We were forced to just go to bed since, unlike Alaska, it was already dark outside.

Comments