Hawaii 2012. Day Three.
Monday.
Let's call day three: the day we wised up.
In several ways.
Monday we woke up in PAIN. The day before we had covered Decs in baby sunscreen and ourselves in some Hawaiian tropics SPF 30. It did nothing. We were so read on Monday. Ouch ouch ouch. Monday was the day we started using Declan's sunscreen instead.
The second way we wised up was the best. The night before we had strolled past the Cheesecake factory at dinner time and the line was insane. I had glanced at the hours on the door and knew they opened at 11. Monday we skipped breakfast and were at the Cheesecake factory at 11:10 am.
On the way there we stopped at the International Marketplace and I found some shark's tooth necklaces for the boys. I snatched those up, as the day before Avery had asked me on the phone to find something with sharks for him. We thought they would like those.
The Cheesecake Factory. We were both first timers. I now understand why everyone raves about that place. Oh. My. Yum. I got the chicken alfredo and J got the mushroom burger. He said it was the best burger he's ever eaten. I was VERY impressed with the servers too. As soon as we sat down, they came over with banana slices for Declan as well as bread for us. When we asked for a side order of mashed potatoes for him, we had it within minutes. They were very great there. I was very excited for the main event though: the cheesecake. That place just does not disappoint, almost two full pages of cheesecake choices. We got lemon raspberry cheesecake and red velvet cheesecake to go and brought them back to the fridge in our room for later.
After lunch, we headed back to the hotel and ended up going for a dip in the hotel pool, to try to ease some of the pain of the sunburns and cool ourselves off. Again, Declan was just not too sure about being in the water. He loves taking baths, but to him it seems that the pool was just not trustworthy. He took turns clinging to me and J. Jason could get him to smile and be happy a little bit by turning him around in the water, but he still held to him so tight and looked pretty scared. He was pretty happy when we got out of the water!
While D slept off the swimming adventure of the day, I took pictures from the lanai of the surfers and boats for the boys to see.
That evening we decided to venture away from the main Waikiki strip and go check out another area. I looked up online the trolley system and found out that if we stood outside our hotel with $4 exactly we could catch the "pink line" trolley to the Ala Moana shopping center. We decided it would be a nice break from the heat (I might have also seen that there was a Romano's Macaroni Grill there...) and decided to give it a try. Jason put Decs in the front pack and we started off on another adventure. We rode the trolley with the pile of Asians that vacation in Hawaii, and ended up at the shopping center in a parking garage outside of Nordstroms. We followed the crowd into the store. It was at that moment that I came up with a new policy while in Hawaii. Inside Nordstroms, we could not find the mall entrance. I looked up at the escalator and saw all the Asians riding up to the second floor. I looked at Jason and said "if in doubt, follow the Asians." It sounds funny, but it rang true! They always knew which way to go! We followed them up and found our way into the shopping center.
That night we ate dinner at the Macaroni Grill, which was my favorite place to eat when I lived in Boise. It had been nearly SEVEN years since I had been and it was Jason's first time. Their food is just amazing. We wandered around the shops, mostly looking at kid stuff- the Lego store, the Disney store, and the Children's place- and then headed back to catch the trolley with our $4 in hand.
We made it back to the hotel and again crashed hard. Hawaii is really quite exhausting, I can't lie.
Let's call day three: the day we wised up.
In several ways.
Monday we woke up in PAIN. The day before we had covered Decs in baby sunscreen and ourselves in some Hawaiian tropics SPF 30. It did nothing. We were so read on Monday. Ouch ouch ouch. Monday was the day we started using Declan's sunscreen instead.
The second way we wised up was the best. The night before we had strolled past the Cheesecake factory at dinner time and the line was insane. I had glanced at the hours on the door and knew they opened at 11. Monday we skipped breakfast and were at the Cheesecake factory at 11:10 am.
On the way there we stopped at the International Marketplace and I found some shark's tooth necklaces for the boys. I snatched those up, as the day before Avery had asked me on the phone to find something with sharks for him. We thought they would like those.
The Cheesecake Factory. We were both first timers. I now understand why everyone raves about that place. Oh. My. Yum. I got the chicken alfredo and J got the mushroom burger. He said it was the best burger he's ever eaten. I was VERY impressed with the servers too. As soon as we sat down, they came over with banana slices for Declan as well as bread for us. When we asked for a side order of mashed potatoes for him, we had it within minutes. They were very great there. I was very excited for the main event though: the cheesecake. That place just does not disappoint, almost two full pages of cheesecake choices. We got lemon raspberry cheesecake and red velvet cheesecake to go and brought them back to the fridge in our room for later.
After lunch, we headed back to the hotel and ended up going for a dip in the hotel pool, to try to ease some of the pain of the sunburns and cool ourselves off. Again, Declan was just not too sure about being in the water. He loves taking baths, but to him it seems that the pool was just not trustworthy. He took turns clinging to me and J. Jason could get him to smile and be happy a little bit by turning him around in the water, but he still held to him so tight and looked pretty scared. He was pretty happy when we got out of the water!
While D slept off the swimming adventure of the day, I took pictures from the lanai of the surfers and boats for the boys to see.
That evening we decided to venture away from the main Waikiki strip and go check out another area. I looked up online the trolley system and found out that if we stood outside our hotel with $4 exactly we could catch the "pink line" trolley to the Ala Moana shopping center. We decided it would be a nice break from the heat (I might have also seen that there was a Romano's Macaroni Grill there...) and decided to give it a try. Jason put Decs in the front pack and we started off on another adventure. We rode the trolley with the pile of Asians that vacation in Hawaii, and ended up at the shopping center in a parking garage outside of Nordstroms. We followed the crowd into the store. It was at that moment that I came up with a new policy while in Hawaii. Inside Nordstroms, we could not find the mall entrance. I looked up at the escalator and saw all the Asians riding up to the second floor. I looked at Jason and said "if in doubt, follow the Asians." It sounds funny, but it rang true! They always knew which way to go! We followed them up and found our way into the shopping center.
That night we ate dinner at the Macaroni Grill, which was my favorite place to eat when I lived in Boise. It had been nearly SEVEN years since I had been and it was Jason's first time. Their food is just amazing. We wandered around the shops, mostly looking at kid stuff- the Lego store, the Disney store, and the Children's place- and then headed back to catch the trolley with our $4 in hand.
We made it back to the hotel and again crashed hard. Hawaii is really quite exhausting, I can't lie.


Comments