Hawaii 2012. Day two.

Sunday was our first full day in Hawaii and it was the day to explore. We got ourselves up pretty early, we got dressed in swimsuits and cover ups, and headed down to breakfast. After eating we were ready to explore. The shuttle ride from the airport had given us quite the view of Waikiki and left us with lots of places we were dying to go look at. So with Declan happy in his stroller (and already covered in sunscreen) we set out walking through Waikiki.
Now let me just mention, it was HOT. Most people there were enjoying a break from the 100+ degree heat from the lower 48. For our little Alaskan family, it was scorching hot. I felt like the heat was hitting me like a wall and the sun was making it worse. I tried to stick to the shade as much as I possibly could!
We walked at least a mile and a half in one direction before going up a street and heading the other way. So many stores and restaurants that we wanted to try. It was a fun little stroll.




After our walk, we decided it was time to hit the beach. We went right outside our hotel and set ourselves up. This is was not only Declan's first time at the beach, but mine as well. Jason thought this was so funny, that I had never been to an ocean beach to swim, as he's been to Mexico with his family before. For me though, I grew up as land locked as you can get in central Minnesota. Our vacations growing up were out to the northeast to visit family. The only time I remember going to an ocean beach was when we went to the beach in Maine. It was not warm. I think my feet are the only part of my body that went in the water that day. I remember my Grandma sitting on a lawn chair in the sand with a towel wrapped around her for warmth. So I don't think that quite counts as "swimming in the ocean."















So on Sunday, I got my first chance. We laid out our beach towels and I let Jason take Declan down to the water first, after he made sure to sample some sand that is. Declan was not convinced. That poor sweet baby just clung to his daddy for dear life. Jason lowered him into the water a few times, but Declan would wrap his arms around Jason's neck and snuggle his head into his shoulder and not move. To say he didn't like it is an understatement. After they came back up, Jason spent some time snorkeling, while I snuggled our sweet boy and tried to keep the sand and his mouth away from each other. Then, it was my turn.
I don't know what I was expecting, but it was very different from how I thought it would be. I don't live under a rock, so I've obviously seen people playing in the waves on tv/movies before, but I had no idea how to deal with waves. Judging from Jason's reaction to me in the water, it must have been quite comical. I stayed in the shallow water and as each wash crashed in, I would topple over. There were little kids more stable on their feet in the water than I was. Also, the water was salty. It stung my eyes and tasted less than appetizing. It really was a different experience than swimming in the lakes and pools I'm used to!







After our little beach excursion, our little bug was pretty exhausted, so we brought him back to the hotel for a nap. Jason decided to sunbathe on the lanai while D was sleeping, I think he planned to soak up all the sun he could. After that we got the sand and sea water cleaned off ourselves and were dressed and ready to roll out again as soon as he was up. Back in the stroller he went and we decided to go walking the other direction from where we had gone that morning.


Now our hotel was on the last block of the Waikiki strip, so the next block over started a quieter area. Luckily, just a block over was the Honolulu Zoo! We walked past that, and took a street closer to the beach and found ourselves walking right past the Waikiki Aquarium. That area was mostly parks and turned into a residential area, so we turned around and came back up after not very far.




























We came past the hotel and decided to wander until we could find somewhere for dinner. Down the street through Waikiki we then saw a parade. Not sure what the exact reason/name for the parade was, but who cares- it was fun. I especially got interested when I saw the different branches of the military were out and the bands were playing. The Navy, Army, and Marine bands played, and then much to my disappointment the Air Force was out to play (not even in their dress blues) but their regular uniforms, as well as the Coast Guard. For anyone who doesn't know, I was an Air Force girl and I have a tremendous amount of pride for the AF, I was really hoping to see the Air Force band. Oh well.

Our walk continued and after seeing the crazy long lines at most of the restaurants we decided to hit a food court. I got my "gourmet" Chinese Panda Express fix. After that, it was already dark (something we Alaskans are NOT used to in the summer!) so we headed back to the hotel. We all slept great that night, all that walking and swimming wore us all out!




Comments

Popular Posts