The most remarkable woman.

Tonight and tomorrow my family in Minnesota is together to remember my Grandma, pay their respects, and lay her to rest.
I am in Alaska. With a coughing baby and a pile of homework I can't focus on, wishing I was in Minnesota as well.
When I think about my Grandma I am flooded with good memories. I was blessed to grow up only about half an hour from my Grandparents. I have memories of them from most stages of my life. The most memories are with my Grandma. I was closer to her than any of my other Grandparents. I looked up to her so much.
My Grandma did everything. I'm pretty sure she was the original supermom.
She made so many goodies. I remember showing up unannounced on many occasions. She would reach into her deep freezer and pull out a pile of goodies.
Sometimes when showing up unannounced, it came with the news that she was busy, off playing bingo or a card game with her friends.
She had a metal cart that she would push to the store after my Grandpa passed away, when she wanted to go shopping.
She had wooden cases lining her hallway full of souvenir spoons from destinations all over the world.
There was a ceramic model of a one room school house that was always on her counter.
Pillsbury dough boy figurines for every month of the year.
Her chest of yarn.
I have several boxes just full of her things that she sent me years ago. I will treasure those "things" and the memories attached to them for the rest of my life.
So many times I walked through that apartment looking at all her things. I can remember the smells. Where the floor creaked.
Recalling everything brings a profound feeling of comfort and love.
When I think of her I simply think of love.  
She was simply put, amazing. She was strong in ways I cannot describe.
Hilarious, even in her old age. She had such a sense of humor. There was always a twinkle in her eye, like she was up to mischief.
I remember there being so much laughter around her at family parties.
She used to dress up as Mrs.Claus and walk around handing out presents at our family Christmas party.
Any food we brought to parties was extra. She made enough for the whole family and the whole neighborhood.
She loved everyone in my family so much.
Babies. She wouldn't let them go once she got them. The first time I brought Avery home, we stopped to see her on the way home from the airport. That was the most important stop. She didn't want to give him back.
I remember her saying things like "oh don't bother with me" when she didn't want people to go out of their way for her, but deep down I always thought she hoped that people would go out of their way for her.
From the time I was a teenager, every time I said goodbye to her I told her to behave. She would look at me, and say "who me?" with those eyes twinkling. I never understood the expression "eyes smile" until I saw hers do it.
I miss her so much.
I've missed her so much living so far away. She was the deciding factor that always brought me home. I needed to see her. I wish I could have visited more often. I cherished the email updates my cousin sent me, telling me about how Gran was doing. I could picture the things she did, the things she said.
I have never known a more incredible woman.
I was named after her. Louise. A name I wear proudly, a name I will always wear proudly. I am so proud to be her granddaughter and to carry her name. I will carry her with me. Always. My dream for years has been to have a daughter of my own, and to pass Louise on. I pray for that opportunity to be in my future.
Tonight, I honor her, here. I show my sons the pictures of her and tell them stories of her life. When my younger sons are old enough, I will share her with them too. She will always live on in my memories. I believe that those we love never truly die, they continue to live on inside us.
See you later Grandma. I love you so much. Thank you for being you.










Comments

Popular Posts